About Strong Ambitions
Strong Ambitions is a performance coaching and consultation service founded by Norman Cheung BSc ASCC.
He is an accredited strength and conditioning coach and a seasoned powerlifting coach.
At Strong Ambitions, we strive to offer comprehensive and innovative coaching services at a high standard.
We take pride in our track record for producing several international competitors, medallists and international university teams.
Along with over 8 years of international coaching experience, we believe you will find great value in working with us.
Our Personal Mission
To empower individuals by providing an environment that nurtures growth in their meaningful pursuit of Powerlifting
- We treat you as a human being first before as an athlete
- Good coaching comes with treating every athlete as an individual. Great coaching comes with empathising with the athlete’s life outside of sport and taking that into consideration of their practice.
- Your goals are our goals
- Coaches have desires, biases and their own set of values. We believe that best practice incorporates your values as a framework for how we coach you to your goals.
- We have our philosophy of evidence based practice
- We believe in going beyond using scientific research as our basis of coaching intervention. We also draw from individual preferences, experiences and training responses along with professional wisdom.
- We are big on data and technology
- We want to take guesswork out of the equation as much as humanly possible. We use data collection and technology to enhance the training experience and result to optimise certainty.
- No methods are off the table with coaching intervention
- Some athletes may prefer certain previous training strategies. We take that into consideration during the coaching process to maximise training adherence. Consistency is key.
- We come from a place of passion and meaning
- We are passionate about what we do. We find a lot of meaning through what we do. We aim to share that with our clients.
After more than 8 years of the industry, Norman has worked with over 200+ athletes and 3 university powerlifting clubs. Whilst working with the university powerlifting clubs, he has supported their development in the field including mentoring some students to become coaches themselves in the aim of growing the coaching support within the clubs.
Norman has been coaching powerlifting since 2012. In 2016, he joined Team GB coaching team under British Powerlifting, formerly GBPF (Great Britain Powerlifting Federation), since 2016. He received his accreditation as a Strength and Conditioning coach under the UKSCA by 2017. He has fulfilled coaching responsibilities in 10 international competitions and counting.
He has worked with powerlifters of a full range of experience and performance levels and has produced:
- 3 International Silver Medallists
- 2 International Bronze Medallists
- 6 total individual international competitors
- 2 men’s university powerlifting teams to the World University Cup
- 1 women’s university powerlifting teams to the World University Cup
- 8 total British Champions
- 1 British Silver Medallist
- 2 British Bronze Medallists
- 1 English Silver Medallist
UKSCA Accredited Strength and Conditioning Coach
Level 3 Personal Trainer
British Powerlifting Regional Referee
British Powerlifting Level 1 Coach
British Weightlifting Level 2 Coach